CSNbbs
2006 Attendance - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: 2006 Attendance (/thread-68175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

2006 Attendance - EnterSandman - 09-25-2006 11:37 AM

Cincinnati

Nippert Stadium (Capacity: 35,000)

Eastern Kentucky vs Cincinnati (Sep 02, 2006)
Attendance: 18,792

Pittsburgh vs Cincinnati (Sep 08, 2006 at Cincinnati, Ohio)
Attendance: 20,611

Connecticut

Rentschler Field (Capacity: 40,000)

Rhode Island vs Connecticut (Aug 31, 2006 at East Hartford, CT)
Attendance: 36,227

Wake Forest vs Connecticut (Sep 16, 2006 at East Hartford, CT)
Attendance: 40,000

Louisville

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (Capacity: 42,000)

Kentucky vs Louisville (Sep 03, 2006 at Louisville, KY)
Attendance: 42,597

Miami vs Louisville (Sep 16, 2006 at Louisville, KY)
Attendance: 42,704

Pittsburgh

Heinz Field (Capacity: 65,000)

Virginia vs Pittsburgh (Sep 02, 2006 at Pittsburgh, PA)
Attendance: 46,758

Michigan State vs Pittsburgh (Sep 16, 2006 at Pittsburgh, PA)
Attendance: 47,956

The Citadel vs Pittsburgh (Sep 23, 2006 at Pittsburgh, PA)
Attendance: 30,069

Rutgers

Rutgers Stadium (Capacity: 42,000)

Illinois vs Rutgers (Sep 09, 2006 at Piscataway, NJ)
Attendance: 41,036

Ohio vs Rutgers (Sep 16, 2006 at Piscataway, NJ)
Attendance: 41,102

Howard vs Rutgers (Sep 23, 2006 at Piscataway, NJ)
Attendance: 35,558

South Florida

Raymond James Stadium (Capacity: 65,000)

McNeese State vs South Florida (Sep 02, 2006 at Tampa, Fla)
Attendance: 26,351

Florida International vs South Florida (Sep 09, 2006 at Tampa, Fla)
Attendance: 27,114

Syracuse

The Carrier Dome (Capacity: 50,000)

Iowa vs Syracuse (Sep 09, 2006 at Syracuse, NY)
Attendance: 37,199

Miami (OH) vs Syracuse (Sep 23, 2006 at Syracuse, NY)
Attendance: 35,274

West Virginia

Milan Puskar Stadium (Capacity: 60,000)

Marshall vs West Virginia (Sep 02, 2006 at Morgantown, W.Va)
Attendance: 61,077

Eastern Washington vs West Virginia (Sep 09, 2006 at Morgantown, W.Va)
Attendance: 59,504

Maryland vs West Virginia (Sep 14, 2006 at Morgantown, W.Va)
Attendance: 60,513

Avg. Attendance

West Virginia 60,364
Louisville 42,650
Pittsburgh 41,594
Rutgers 39,232
Connecticut 38,113
Syracuse 36,236
South Florida 26,732
Cincinnati 19,701

- CollegeCard - 09-25-2006 11:57 AM

Current top 4 are all above last year, and the bottom 4 are all below what they drew last year.

Pitt's attendance reminds me of Memphis right now. Both have a capacity in the 62-65,000 range, both can draw in the upper 40's or lower 50's for a rival or BCS name opponent (more for uber rivals WVU & Ole Miss/UT)...but if the team loses 1 game or they are playing a no name/losing opponent, don't look for more than 30-35,000.

- Tigeer - 09-25-2006 12:00 PM

Boy do I wish Memphis was in the BE, the attendance figures would be right their with everyone except WVU and well above USF and UC.

- Tigeer - 09-25-2006 12:02 PM

CollegeCard Wrote:Current top 4 are all above last year, and the bottom 4 are all below what they drew last year.

Pitt's attendance reminds me of Memphis right now. Both have a capacity in the 62-65,000 range, both can draw in the upper 40's or lower 50's for a rival or BCS name opponent (more for uber rivals WVU & Ole Miss/UT)...but if the team loses 1 game or they are playing a no name/losing opponent, don't look for more than 30-35,000.

You got that right but Pitt is in a BCS conference which is naturally a going to be a better draw.

- Shannon Panther - 09-25-2006 12:07 PM

Tigeer Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:Current top 4 are all above last year, and the bottom 4 are all below what they drew last year.

You got that right but Pitt is in a BCS conference which is naturally a going to be a better draw.

Pitt competes with the Steelers for Pittsburgh's entertainment $s. Memphis has the market all to themselves. The Grizzlies are there but they only draw 22K for a sell out. And the seasons aren't concurrent. The Steelers draw 65,500 no matter what. Pittsburgh fans are spoiled. when Pitt wins, they are well attended. (50K+)

- bearcatfan - 09-25-2006 12:08 PM

With good weather this Saturday, a 3:30 start, students on campus, and UC's strong performances against top 10 teams, and against a rival, let's hope for better for UC this weekend.

My guess is at least 26000.

- Tigeer - 09-25-2006 12:12 PM

Shannon Panther Wrote:
Tigeer Wrote:

Pitt competes with the Steelers for Pittsburgh's entertainment $s. Memphis has the market all to themselves. The Grizzlies are there but they only draw 22K for a sell out. And the seasons aren't concurrent. The Steelers draw 65,500 no matter what. Pittsburgh fans are spoiled. when Pitt wins, they are well attended. (50K+)

Tennesse has a professional team that the Tigers compete against - The Vols.

I wasn't slamming Pitt by the way. I was just wallowing in self pity over Memphis not being in a conference like the BE.

- bitcruncher - 09-25-2006 12:27 PM

Pitt will have a huge turnout for the WVU game. That's a given. There are plenty of Mountaineer fans nearby to fill up the stadium if the Pitt fans don't.

- Jackson1011 - 09-25-2006 12:34 PM

A couple of points

A. Pitt will draw 60K+ for the WVU game and likely pass UL for second place

B. UL and maybe Uconn are ready for staduim expanson...Would like to see Uconn jump to 50k and UL to 60K

C. USF #s strike me as being far down from last yrs....although last yr they were in the BCS hunt untill the end of the yr

D. UC#s are too close to Temple's BE figures for comfort. I don't know how Bearcat officials can attack that problem, but I hope they think of something. Saturday should be UCs highest draw of the yr, lets hope it can get there average over 20k

Jackson

- CollegeCard - 09-25-2006 12:38 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:A couple of points

A. Pitt will draw 60K+ for the WVU game and likely pass UL for second place

B. UL and maybe Uconn are ready for staduim expanson...Would like to see Uconn jump to 50k and UL to 60K

A. If they really get 60K, they'd need to draw 37,500 or so on average against UofL, Rutgers, & Toledo to draw over what UofL is capable of. I really hope they can do that, but I wouldn't count it a given considering Toledo may not draw flies.

B. UofL's expansion is going to take it from 42k to about 63k.

- Shannon Panther - 09-25-2006 02:35 PM

Tigeer Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:
Tigeer Wrote:

Tennesse has a professional team that the Tigers compete against - The Vols.

I wasn't slamming Pitt by the way. I was just wallowing in self pity over Memphis not being in a conference like the BE.

No offense taken. Penn State is only 3 hours from Pittsburgh and has a ton of 2 year branch campuses in the western PA area. That also dilutes the interest in Pitt. Pitt was a private school until 1967. We don't have the large alumni base that some other schools have. Pitt depends on the local sports fans who have no affiliation with the university to fill up Heinz Field. If Pitt is 10-1 or at worst 8-3 when Louisville comes to town, I expect they will draw 60K+. Pittsburgh is a sports town that loves big games.

- L-yes - 09-25-2006 02:52 PM

Cincys numbers are frightening to say the least.

- bearcatfan - 09-25-2006 03:22 PM

L-yes Wrote:Cincys numbers are frightening to say the least.

Why are they "frightening"? What does that mean?

Again, is football attendance the sole criteria for acceptance in the Big East?

Don't get me wrong - the attendance is not acceptable. UC is working on it. It won't happen overnight. The Pitt game attendance has been disputed by several that were at the game, including myself. Based on years of experience in attending UC games the attendance looked to be at least 23000, and perhaps as high as 25000. There was a comment on the local news about it, but we have heard nothing since. Even 25000 is below what we want, but it would make the numbers look better.

Hopefully there will be a much better attendance for the Miami game.

But to analyze this each week is getting more than a little old. UC is in their 2nd season in the Big East. UC just started competing on a level playing field in terms of football support facilities this season. Let's give it a chance.

- RealDeal - 09-25-2006 03:42 PM

I don't think we'll get the numbers we normally get for the Miami game this week. With us 1-3 and them 0-4 I think the casual fan is going to find something else to do Saturday afternoon. I'd be happy if we got 25k.

Our attendance is pathetic. I'm starting to lose faith we can attract new fans. Most college teams in NFL cities struggle with attendance. This even includes the U, who has won more titles than anyone over the last 25 years. If they can only average 45k with their history and recent success we're lucky to get the fans we do. I'm really starting to believe we're fighting a losing battle.

- bearcatfan - 09-25-2006 03:49 PM

RealDeal Wrote:I don't think we'll get the numbers we normally get for the Miami game this week. With us 1-3 and them 0-4 I think the casual fan is going to find something else to do Saturday afternoon. I'd be happy if we got 25k.

Our attendance is pathetic. I'm starting to lose faith we can attract new fans. Most college teams in NFL cities struggle with attendance. This even includes the U, who has won more titles than anyone over the last 25 years. If they can only average 45k with their history and recent success we're lucky to get the fans we do. I'm really starting to believe we're fighting a losing battle.

I always go back to the year UC started the season by beating ECU 40-3 and then upsetting WVU at their place. People got excited about UC football. The next week - over 30,000 showed up to watch UC play Temple. If they can do that, it proves it can be done. It's going to take winning.

- ccbfan - 09-25-2006 03:50 PM

I expect the Uconn to sell out for the rest of the games except maybe Cinci. This depends on whether Uconn is still in bowl contention or not. Don't be suprised if this game is for a bowl bid. Hopefully we'll have it wrapped up before hand.

Their other home games remaining are

Navy
Army
WVa
Pitt

All should be sell outs.

I mean they freakin sold out for Wake Forest and I'd expect the four teams mentioned above garners more interest.

- RealDeal - 09-25-2006 03:52 PM

bearcatfan Wrote:I always go back to the year UC started the season by beating ECU 40-3 and then upsetting WVU at their place. People got excited about UC football. The next week - over 30,000 showed up to watch UC play Temple. If they can do that, it proves it can be done. It's going to take winning.

I hope you're right. It just seems like since the Bengals have taken off no one has an interest in college football anymore. The year you refer to is 2003 I think, before Bengal football really took off.

- army56mike - 09-25-2006 06:30 PM

The way I see it, the only thing UC lacks is better recruiting, which equals better depth, which is what is killing UC as I see it. They hang in for a long time and then eventually get worn down and lose. Better recruiting will build numbers which will in turn equal wins.

- Hummell - 09-25-2006 08:04 PM

bearcatfan Wrote:I always go back to the year UC started the season by beating ECU 40-3 and then upsetting WVU at their place. People got excited about UC football. The next week - over 30,000 showed up to watch UC play Temple. If they can do that, it proves it can be done. It's going to take winning.

No, it proves you have fairweather fans and no fanbase.

- bearcatfan - 09-25-2006 08:22 PM

Hummell Wrote:

No, it proves you have fairweather fans and no fanbase.

OK, I guess. Whatever. 01-wingedeagle