Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Memphis-Louisville to possibly play BB game in NYC
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Memphis-Louisville to possibly play BB game in NYC
This was mentioned before after the football series was announced. Pitino is not interested in a home and home, but he's warmed up to the idea of a neutral site game. This writer is the Tigers BB beat writer and is definitely in the know.

http://www.thememphisedge.com/

See last two paragraphs...

News and Notes on a Rainy Sunday
Posted by Dan Wolken
John Calipari’s new contract, as we wrote about yesterday, is a significant development in every way. Though it’s never wise to get into absolute predictions with regard to coaching tenures, the sheer numbers involved in this deal — essentially, he’ll make $3.35 million per year — will make it very difficult for Calipari to leave Memphis any time soon. Simply put, he’s now priced himself out of all but a few jobs. It would take one of those mega-blockbuster contracts — probably from an NBA team — to pull him away.

Even at that, let’s just say an NBA team next week offered Calipari a contract worth $5 million per year. How much of the total contract would be guaranteed if he got fired after three years? He’s got $16.75 million guaranteed if he stays at Memphis for five years, and really, it’s even more than that because the deal will pretty much roll over every year. Plus, he lives in a state with no income tax, and from what I understand, the annuity part of his deal is also an advantageous tax situation.

And, of course, the other part of that hypothetical situation is that an NBA owner would have to be willing to spend that kind of money on Calipari, which is probably less likely given the track record of college coaches in the NBA.

The significance of this deal cannot be overstated. When you’re paying your college basketball coach this amount of money — and only Billy Donovan, Mike Krzyzewski and Roy Williams are in the same pay grade — it’s an amazing commitment by the school and especially the boosters. I had heard rumblings before the NCAA Tournament that R.C. Johnson was meeting with boosters to look at ways to sweeten Calipari’s deal, and obviously they came up big in a major way.

And I don’t think anybody could make a serious case that it’s not money well spent. There is no coach in the country who means more to his program than Calipari. At the same time, Memphis has been very good to Calipari, and not just financially. He’s been able to establish a brand here; for potential recruits and fans on a national scale, “Memphis basketball” has certain connotations that are beneficial to him both as a coach and a personality. Calipari is also in a situation where he can win big if he’s able to recruit — and all indications, at this point, are that recruiting is not being hurt at all by being in Conference USA. If Calipari stays at Memphis for 10 more years, he walks into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Other notes:

– They re-finished the floor at the Finch Center, and it looks amazing. The new floor also includes the new college 3-point line, which will be an interesting development to keep an eye on.

– After talking briefly with Wesley Witherspoon and his mother yesterday at the Finch Center, I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t commit to Memphis this week. Shocked.

– Departure date for China is set for May 26 with a return for June 2 or 3rd. The problem is, how many players will Calipari be able to take? Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Joey Dorsey are no-gos. The incoming recruits can’t go. Memphis may actually end up bringing along a few players from other C-USA teams to fill out the roster for the three exhibition games against the Chinese national team.

– Nothing official yet, but Andy Allison and Shyrone Chatman are pretty much set to go to UMass with Derek Kellogg. Memphis is basically operating right now with a three-man staff in John Calipari, John Robic and Rod Strickland. With Calipari and Strickland hosting Witherspoon’s on-campus visit, the Tigers only had one representative out on the road this weekend. Robic went to Akron to see the King James AAU Tournament.

– There has been a lot of chatter on Internet message boards about the status of Hashim Bailey, who was injured fairly early in the season and did not play at all after that. Just informed speculation here, but I don’t expect Bailey to be on the roster next year. There was a reference on Zagsblog this week to Bailey possibly transferring to Marist or UMass. I’d say the odds of something like that are pretty good, though I’m not sure Bailey is good enough to play for UMass.

– Nothing is really happening yet on the Tigers’ schedule for next season, but Calipari would LOVE to put together a Kansas-Memphis rematch of the national championship game as the big opener to the college basketball season. Put it on ESPN and give the sport a made-for-TV event to start the season. How about Saturday, Nov. 8 in St. Louis as a lead-in to Alabama at LSU, which certainly will be the College GameNight broadcast? I could also see a potential Memphis-Louisville game in New York, as it seems Rick Pitino would actually be agreeable to that. I highly doubt Memphis will be in any sort of holiday tournament next season, but a Louisville or Kansas game would be a great addition to an already very difficult non-conference schedule.

– Memphis won’t have anybody coming into FedExForum next season as good as Tennessee or Georgetown, but Ohio State and Syracuse could/should both be top 25 teams. And don’t forget about Cincinnati. The Bearcats’ returning roster stacks up very well, and I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they’re a top-25 team heading into Memphis next season.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2008 05:24 PM by 3601.)
04-27-2008 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Memphis-Louisville to possibly play BB game in NYC
Memphis v. Louisville, MSG, on ESPN = 02-13-banana

i REALLY hope this happens...

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
04-27-2008 11:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Andy Katz confirms there has been discussion, but says it would be in 2009-2010...

KU vs. Memphis again?posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 | Print Entry

Quick hitters for Tuesday:

• Memphis coach John Calipari said Tuesday that he wants to play Kansas to tipoff the 2008-09 season on a neutral court after the Jayhawks beat the Tigers for the national championship earlier this month in San Antonio.

The problem is that Kansas' schedule is full. Kansas associate athletic director Larry Keating said Tuesday that the Jayhawks don't have a spot to open the season or for one game at all against a high-major. Kansas opens the season with the Collegiate Basketball Experience tournament with two guaranteed games at home before likely moving on to playing Washington and then either Syracuse or Florida in Kansas City's Sprint Center in November. The Jayhawks are also playing at Michigan State and at Arizona, and they're playing Temple and Tennessee at home. They've also scheduled UMass for a game in the Sprint Center (hey, at least the Minutemen are coached by former Memphis assistant Derek Kellogg).

Calipari said the Tigers have Syracuse coming to Memphis, as well as Cincinnati and Ohio State at home. The Tigers have to return games to Gonzaga (likely in the Spokane Arena instead of the Kennel), Georgetown and Tennessee.

Calipari said he talked to Louisville coach Rick Pitino about trying to set up a game in New York's Madison Square Garden in 2009-10, too.

• Calipari promoted Rod Strickland to a fulltime assistant coach, replacing one of the two departures (he lost both Kellogg and Chuck Martin, who left for the head coaching job at Marist). Calipari said Strickland, the former NBA guard, was "unbelievable" in a home visit last week.

"I was stunned," Calipari said. "He knew when to interject and was really good with the families."

Calipari said he's not sure what he'll do with the other open spot on his staff. He said he may pursue Oregon assistant Kenny Payne, who was helped the Ducks score big in recruiting recently.

• Memphis is also looking at adding possibly two or three more recruits to its class of 2008. The Tigers got a verbal committment from Tyreke Evans last week and already had committments Angel Garcia and Matt Simpkins locked up.

• Calipari said the Tigers' planned trip to China from May 26 to June 2 is still a go, despite the massive defections to the NBA. Calipari went to China last year to set up a clinic and exchange program with the Chinese Basketball Association. He had a CBA coach with him throughout the course of the season. As of this week, the Tigers will take Doneal Mack, Willie Kemp, Jeff Robinson, Pierre Niles, Shawn Taggart and Chance McGrady on the trip. Antonio Anderson and Robert Dozier, two juniors who declared for the NBA draft, won't go since that will be during the Orlando predraft camp.

"I'm anxious to get over and work with the kids and teach the coaches," Calipari said.
04-30-2008 07:55 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Quote:Calipari said he's not sure what he'll do with the other open spot on his staff. He said he may pursue Oregon assistant Kenny Payne, who was helped the Ducks score big in recruiting recently.

What is up with the Tigers looking at and hiring former Louisville players as assistant coaches. First Milt Wagner and now they are looking at Kenny Payne. Who is next Pervis Ellison?
04-30-2008 08:06 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
3601 Wrote:Calipari said the Tigers have Syracuse coming to Memphis, as well as Cincinnati and Ohio State at home. The Tigers have to return games to Gonzaga (likely in the Spokane Arena instead of the Kennel), Georgetown and Tennessee.

Syracuse at Memphis is Dec 20th--I have my room booked already--my wife is not totally against us taking an 11 hour drive each way for a long weekend in Memphis 02-13-banana
04-30-2008 08:12 AM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

TexanMark Wrote:
3601 Wrote:Calipari said the Tigers have Syracuse coming to Memphis, as well as Cincinnati and Ohio State at home. The Tigers have to return games to Gonzaga (likely in the Spokane Arena instead of the Kennel), Georgetown and Tennessee.

Syracuse at Memphis is Dec 20th--I have my room booked already--my wife is not totally against us taking an 11 hour drive each way for a long weekend in Memphis 02-13-banana

I made that drive just a few short weeks ago for the Final Four. I strongly suggest NOT doing it if you can avoid it.
04-30-2008 11:17 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Maize Wrote:
Quote:Calipari said he's not sure what he'll do with the other open spot on his staff. He said he may pursue Oregon assistant Kenny Payne, who was helped the Ducks score big in recruiting recently.

What is up with the Tigers looking at and hiring former Louisville players as assistant coaches. First Milt Wagner and now they are looking at Kenny Payne. Who is next Pervis Ellison?

It's the Wordlwide Wes connection.
04-30-2008 11:18 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

3601 Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:

I made that drive just a few short weeks ago for the Final Four. I strongly suggest NOT doing it if you can avoid it.

Airfare is horrendous into Memphis from either SAT or AUS--if I can get a last minute airfare for about $200 I'll fly and taxi it downtown.

If driving: the key is to avoid Austin and Dallas at Rush Hours.
04-30-2008 11:43 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
3601 Wrote:This was mentioned before after the football series was announced. Pitino is not interested in a home and home, but he's warmed up to the idea of a neutral site game.

Nashville would be the most logical location and result in a much larger crowd.
04-30-2008 12:15 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

TexanMark Wrote:
3601 Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:

Airfare is horrendous into Memphis from either SAT or AUS--if I can get a last minute airfare for about $200 I'll fly and taxi it downtown.

If driving: the key is to avoid Austin and Dallas at Rush Hours.

You might want to checkinto flying Southwest to Little Rock. Little Rock is only 130 miles from Memphis. A lot of folks do that.

The biggest problem for us was the weather. It was terrible going down (tornados in Arkansas) and even worse driving back. The rain was so bad that there were hundreds of cars pulled over on I-35. The ones that weren't pulled over were doing 35 MPH with their hazard lights on. Visibility was about 20 yard in the middle of the day. It was the hardest rain that I ever saw. It turned an 11 hour drive into a 13 hour drive. The drive was going to be long enough after blowing the National Championship game.
04-30-2008 02:10 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Thanks another Memphis fan PM'd me that tidbit (I.E. LIT). It makes flying a possibility.
04-30-2008 04:04 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
11 hours driving? You are nuts. Gas cost is very high too unless you got a Toyota Prius. Should bea good game. I enjoyed that UCONN/Memphis game in the Garden.
04-30-2008 05:56 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:11 hours driving? You are nuts. Gas cost is very high too unless you got a Toyota Prius. Should bea good game. I enjoyed that UCONN/Memphis game in the Garden.

My car gets 40 mpg highway...I haven't seen them play since 2003...If I can get airfare for a reasonable amount I'll fly.

Eleven hours in a car doesn't bother me--I have flown some longer missions in the USAF.
04-30-2008 06:22 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Maize Wrote:

well someone has to get them to graduate. Why not us?
04-30-2008 10:04 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
TexanMark Wrote:My car gets 40 mpg highway...I haven't seen them play since 2003...If I can get airfare for a reasonable amount I'll fly.

Eleven hours in a car doesn't bother me--I have flown some longer missions in the USAF.

Whoa your car gets good mileage. My hybrid SUV only gets 25 Mpg at best. 11 hours is still long, very long. Man you must love the Cuse.
04-30-2008 11:52 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:My car gets 40 mpg highway...I haven't seen them play since 2003...If I can get airfare for a reasonable amount I'll fly.

Whoa your car gets good mileage. My hybrid SUV only gets 25 Mpg at best. 11 hours is still long, very long. Man you must love the Cuse.

Well technically I lied--it is my wife's Honda Civic 03-lmfao
I rarely have seen them play live (the basketball team) and this might be the closest they get to San Antonio in awhile.
05-01-2008 07:42 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Gray Avenger Wrote:
3601 Wrote:This was mentioned before after the football series was announced. Pitino is not interested in a home and home, but he's warmed up to the idea of a neutral site game.

Nashville would be the most logical location and result in a much larger crowd.

But if 2 former NYC Area NBA Head Coaches bring their teams to MSG...both of those teams would enjoy an exponential increase in PUBLICITY for staging their game in hoop recruiting rich area of NYC...and playing it at MSG.

If those 2 teams hooked up in Nashville...it would be no big deal and just another "regional" game in an area not "rich" with HS talent (as compared to other large cities).

Calipari and Pitino are still drawing cards in NYC...and if a MSG game would sellout or not...the other tangible benefits (recruiting exposure, MUCH larger media presence, etc....) would definitely out-weigh a slightly larger live crowd in Nashville.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2008 08:50 AM by KnightLight.)
05-01-2008 08:49 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
fsquid Wrote:
Maize Wrote:

well someone has to get them to graduate. Why not us?

Actually Kenny Payne finished his degree @ Louisville. That was one of my main problems with Denny Crum. He did not give a damn if they went to school or graduated. Under Jurich and Pitino that has changed.
05-01-2008 09:14 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.