Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Charlie Weis trots out a new excuse...
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Charlie Weis trots out a new excuse...
...he is now using the "hoodlums and thugs" card to explain why his program can't win. What a joke...

---------------------------

Charlie Weis addresses Notre Dame Club in Gettysburg
By DAN GRAYBILL
Evening Sun Sports Writer
Article Launched: 04/24/2008 09:18:34 AM EDT

Click photo to enlargeShawn Klunk gets his photograph taken with Notre Dame head football coach Charlie Weis on...«1»Charlie Weis has a plan for the University of Notre Dame football team and, according to Weis, it is only two-thirds complete.

Weis wants to assemble individuals who are good people first, studious people second and good football players third.

The first two Weis has accomplished. The last is the one he and the Fighting Irish faithful are waiting for.

"You have to establish a plan and stick to it," Weis told a crowd of Notre Dame alumni and supporters Wednesday at The Pike Restaurant in Gettysburg. "We're on the right track in those aspects."

Something the Irish fans probably want to hear, coming off a disappointing 2007 campaign.

"I buy it," Notre Dame Club of Gettysburg president and alumnus Brendan Cushing-Daniels said about Weis' message. "I think were on the right track and I'm looking for a dramatically better performance on the field this year."

His plan has worked so far. Weis mentioned that he has had very little social problems to deal with in his three years as coach of Notre Dame.

"I could get hoodlums and thugs and win tomorrow," Weis said. "I won't do it that way."

The same goes with school. If he knows a recruit is not committed to putting in the rigorous academic work at Notre Dame, he will tell that person to try another school that may be less demanding academically.

With two-thirds of his plan in place and spring practice just finished, Weis sees a bright future for his squad.

"I am optimistic about the future,"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weis said. "There isn't one aspect that I didn't think got better."
One aspect Weis didn't expect when he took the job four years ago was how many different roles he would have to play.

He has to be coach, dad, administrator and representative, including speaking to alumni groups such as the one in Gettysburg.

Weis does this because the NCAA passed a rule forbidding head coaches from going on the road and recruiting in the spring. So, to manage his time - something he is big on - Weis travels to alumni groups around the country to deliver his message for the future.

Wednesday's luncheon at Gettysburg attracted around 160 alumni and fans.

Gettysburg was one of the chosen groups because it won an award last year and Weis visits those groups who won awards the previous year.

The Notre Dame Club of Gettysburg won its group competition in supporting the mission of the alumni association and the mission of the university.

"We found out a year ago we were the outstanding club," Cushing-Daniels said. "We didn't find out that Weis was coming out here until a month or two ago, when the NCAA passed the recruiting rule. It was a couple weeks after that."

After a brief question-and-answer period with the audience, Weis was presented with a key to the borough of Gettysburg and was given a $1,000 check from the club for his charity, Hannah and Friends, that helps people with disabilities.

Notre Dame begins its football season on Sept 6. at home against San Diego State.

Contact Dan Graybill at dgraybill@eveningsun.com.
04-28-2008 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Charlie Weis trots out a new excuse...
I hope ND goes 0-12 next year. Only reason I want UCONN to play ND is so we can beat them.
04-28-2008 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
SF Husky Wrote:I hope ND goes 0-12 next year.

As much as I'd like to, I can't share that sentiment. If Charlie gets the boot, then Kelly becomes a prime candidate. ND is one of the few jobs he'd leave UC for.
04-28-2008 08:44 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Quote:"I could get hoodlums and thugs and win tomorrow," Weis said. "I won't do it that way."

With comments like that, is it any wonder that many don't like Notre Dame?
04-29-2008 05:57 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Paul Hornung said the same thing years ago and got blasted for it. Phat Charlie gets applauded for it. It's been wonderful watching the Irish implode. Here's to another season of Notre Lame football...LOL
CJ
04-29-2008 06:22 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Notre Lame is getting a Weis-wash. How has Wake Forest managed to win with the high academic standards they have? They definitely don't recruit hoodlums and thugs, and they've managed a much better record than Weis has in South Bend. And Jim Grobe didn't get the big head start Weis got from inheriting Willingham's talent when he arrived in Winston-Salem.

Lame... very lame. 03-banghead
04-29-2008 06:46 AM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
bitcruncher Wrote:Notre Lame is getting a Weis-wash. How has Wake Forest managed to win with the high academic standards they have? They definitely don't recruit hoodlums and thugs, and they've managed a much better record than Weis has in South Bend. And Jim Grobe didn't get the big head start Weis got from inheriting Willingham's talent when he arrived in Winston-Salem.

He won with Willingham's players, so were those players hoodlums and thugs? And by not winning last year is he implying that his kids weren't hoodlums and thugs? Or is he implying that the other teams that are winning, are able to do so only because they have hoodlums and thugs? Michigan and Northwestern aren't loaded down with hoodlums and thugs and they didn't do as poorly as ND last year.

I hope that ND keeps losing, because fat boy slim is a liar and a complete fraud.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2008 08:31 AM by PirateMarv.)
04-29-2008 08:26 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Bit, Wake Forest takes chances on kids, just like the rest of college football. They signed a kid from my hometown that was arrested for raping a girl he knew. I think the girl dropped the charges after she was harassed by other girls that were friends of the football player.
04-29-2008 08:36 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
"Hoodlums and thugs"? Wow, Weis has balls. He doesn't have the wins to show it but he has balls.
04-29-2008 10:42 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I think he said this or something similar once before.
04-29-2008 10:46 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
ALL coaches make excuses, somtimes even right after they say "we just got our butt kicked, plain and simple"

Weis should have said "I can get a**holes and win tomorrow" that would been on the right track. It is hard to imagine a full-time highschool student, full time high school athlete, also has enough free time to live the true life of a hoodlum or thug. Maybe they hang out with those characters, but being one, I doubt it. There are a Hell of a lot of great athletic hoodlums and thugs, and they don't go to high school or obviously play high school sports.

"Wannabe hoodlums and thugs" even more on the right track.

There are NO thugs in college, you lose that title when you go to visitation day! hahahaha
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2008 10:52 AM by esayem.)
04-29-2008 10:50 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Brick City Pirate Wrote:Bit, Wake Forest takes chances on kids, just like the rest of college football. They signed a kid from my hometown that was arrested for raping a girl he knew. I think the girl dropped the charges after she was harassed by other girls that were friends of the football player.
The kid may have been a rapist. But he was a rapist with a high IQ. You don't get into Wake Forest with the minimum clearance. It takes a good GPA, and a good test score.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2008 12:29 PM by bitcruncher.)
04-29-2008 11:23 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
They are the DEMON Deacons hahaha
04-29-2008 01:25 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Sorry, guys. My opinion is that if Les Miles said that at an LSU function, etc...it wouldn't even have made the news let alone be a reason for controversy.

If its ND related, someone is going to report it, it will be news and people will react. Name of the game, I guess.

Weis says he wants good guys and good students and no thugs....good for him. I hope he continues to say that. I hope he contines to recruit good guys and no thugs.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of his players getting arrested, etc..., have you?

Now, I just want him to kick ass on the field with these good guys....
04-29-2008 03:17 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
TerryD Wrote:Sorry, guys. My opinion is that if Les Miles said that at an LSU function, etc...it wouldn't even have made the news let alone be a reason for controversy.

If its ND related, someone is going to report it, it will be news and people will react. Name of the game, I guess.

Weis says he wants good guys and good students and no thugs....good for him. I hope he continues to say that. I hope he contines to recruit good guys and no thugs.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of his players getting arrested, etc..., have you?

Clausen. And wasn't there another player that got arrested for riding his moped up on the sidewalk?
04-29-2008 03:37 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
TerryD Wrote:Sorry, guys. My opinion is that if Les Miles said that at an LSU function, etc...it wouldn't even have made the news let alone be a reason for controversy.

Nice spin, but one more season where he has to make excuses like this and he'll be begging the Patriots to take him back as their quality control coach. Maybe he doesn't recruit 'thugs', but instead recruits punks like Clausen.

Weis: Clausen's alcohol citation a case of 'ignorance'
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said Monday that quarterback Jimmy Clausen's citation for transporting alcohol as a minor is a simple case of ignorance of the law.
"I think it's out of ignorance — and by ignorance I mean lack of knowledge," Weis said. "I don't think he was defiantly trying to get himself into trouble with the law."

Weis said he himself didn't know it was illegal for someone who's underage — Clausen is 19 — to drive someone who is of legal drinking age to a liquor store to buy alcohol. He used the analogy of a friend of his son's driving the coach to a supermarket to buy a six pack of beer.

Still, Weis said it was a mistake.

"Did he have bad judgment, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, absolutely. You can't sit there and say when something happens that nothing happened," Weis said.

Clausen, who is competing for the Irish starting quarterback job, was not available for comment. Weis has not allowed freshmen to talk with the media yet this season. Clausen and other freshmen are scheduled to be available to the media for the first time on Friday.

Clausen was also named USA TODAY's prep offensive player of the year last season.

Rated by many as the top recruit coming out of high school the last recruiting cycle, Clausen was cited by Indiana State Excise Police on June 23 outside a liquor store about 10 p.m. on a Saturday night near campus along with a 23-year-old who bought two bottles of vodka, a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer.

Clausen remained outside the store in a vehicle along with another Notre Dame freshman, who was not cited.

Excise police were in an unmarked car looking for minors attempting to get alcohol, Excise Police Lt. Tim Cleveland said Monday. The arrest first became public Friday when the South Bend Tribune reported it on its website.

Clausen entered into a memorandum of understanding last month with the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office in which the citation against him will be dismissed if he isn't charged with a criminal act in the next year and he pays a $170 fee. If he had been convicted of the misdemeanor charge he could have faced up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Weis said Clausen, who has been practicing with the team, faces no other action.

Clausen is the second Irish quarterback to face scrutiny this offseason. LaPorte County prosecutors dismissed a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge against quarterback Demetrius Jones in May after the owner of the car he borrowed told police he let Jones drive the car and was sure Jones didn't know the marijuana was in the ashtray.

Weis said Monday that quarterbacks at Notre Dame are always going to be under scrutiny.

"It comes with the territory. Fair or not, that's the way it goes," he said.

Weis also said the case of defensive lineman Derrell Hand, who was arrested last month on a misdemeanor charge of propositioning a prostitute, is nearing a resolution. Hand was suspended indefinitely from the team.

Weis had said Hand would have to let his case go through the judicial and university systems before Weis could take any action. Hand entered into a pretrial diversion program last Thursday and is scheduled to learn his fate from the school in the next couple of days, Weis said.

"Once that happens, I'll have a better idea of where we're going," Weis said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/f...tion_N.htm
04-29-2008 03:40 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
My point is that ND and its coach is very visible and a lightning rod for critics.

If I had read those comments from some other coach, I wouldn't have given it a second thought and I don't think many others would have either.
04-29-2008 04:39 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The lightnin' rod works, Terry. It's a thunderstorm, and that sucker's gettin' hit about once a minute. 05-stirthepot
04-29-2008 05:51 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

TerryD Wrote:My point is that ND and its coach is very visible and a lightning rod for critics.

If I had read those comments from some other coach, I wouldn't have given it a second thought and I don't think many others would have either.

I don't buy that.

Even if you think that it should not be said that way. Charlie needs to try using a little tactfulness the next time.
04-29-2008 06:01 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
bitcruncher Wrote:Notre Lame is getting a Weis-wash. How has Wake Forest managed to win with the high academic standards they have? They definitely don't recruit hoodlums and thugs, and they've managed a much better record than Weis has in South Bend. And Jim Grobe didn't get the big head start Weis got from inheriting Willingham's talent when he arrived in Winston-Salem.

+1

Weis has shown himself to be completely fraudulent since he arrived. Took TyWill's talent and produced inflated results, but he hasn't done swat with his.

I can't wait for North Carolina's "supposed" thugs and hoodlums to slap Phat Weis around for a 31-0 beatdown here in Chapel Hill.

05-mafia
04-29-2008 06:01 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.