RE: St. Pete Bowl approved
BullsFanatic Wrote:Breaking News - St. Pete Bowl approved

No word on the other two bowl games.

Fantastic news!

From the ESPN Site:

ESPN Release

ESPN Regional Television Launches St. Petersburg Bowl for 2008
Postseason Football Game on ESPN Will Feature BIG EAST-Conference USA Matchup

ESPN Regional Television (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN, Inc., announced today the creation of the St. Petersburg Bowl, a college football postseason game to be nationally televised on ESPN in December.

The NCAA-certified bowl game was approved today. It will be owned and operated by ERT and will be played at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., and will feature a bowl-eligible team from the BIG EAST Conference against one from Conference USA.

“St. Petersburg is proud to host the St. Petersburg Bowl,” St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Baker said. “With today’s announcement, our city joins an elite group of only 28 cities nationwide to host a NCAA Collegiate bowl game. I’d like to thank ESPN for its leadership in recruiting the bowl game, and we look forward to welcoming the BIG EAST and Conference USA to St. Petersburg in December.”

ESPN Regional Television owns and operates five other postseason college football bowls: the Papajohns.com Bowl (Birmingham, Ala.); the Bell Helicopter Armed Forced Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas); the Sheraton Hawai’i Bowl; the Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl and the New Mexico Bowl.

“We look forward to the opportunity to host a bowl game at a great destination – St. Petersburg,” said Pete Derzis, Senior Vice President & General Manager, ERT. “The St. Petersburg area has a great association with sports, it’s a great venue and this is sure to be a rewarding experience for the student-athletes and their teams, as well as the fans who attend the game.”

“We are thrilled to be hosting the St. Petersburg Bowl,” said DT Minich, executive director of Visit St. Pete Clearwater. “From Grand Prix to baseball tournaments to triathlons, the St. Pete/Clearwater area has a long history of hosting prestigious sporting events, so we’re honored to be named the inaugural home of a bowl competition. It also gives us the opportunity to showcase one of America’s premiere sports travel and vacation destinations, with award winning beaches, world-class cultural attractions and more.”

“The St. Petersburg Bowl is another great bowl opportunity for the BIG EAST,” said Mike Tranghese, BIG EAST Conference. “The game is played in a BIG EAST market and already has generated great interest in the local community, and the partnership with ESPN will help the game grow quickly. Our coaches are always excited to play a postseason game in the state of Florida.”

“We are excited about the opportunity to develop a new bowl in Florida,“ C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky said. “St. Petersburg is a wonderful community and a great destination for C-USA fans. The BIG EAST Conference will surely provide a great opponent on the other side of the ball. We also are confident that our partner, ESPN Regional Television, will make the experience positive and memorable for the student-athletes.”

Tickets to the 2008 St. Petersburg Bowl are expected to go on sale this summer. For more information, call 1-800-325-2910.
04-30-2008 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Good news. This will help to make sure all BE bowl eligible teams will get to a bowl. Who are we playing again from CUSA? I hope its one of their top teams.
04-30-2008 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
SF Husky Wrote:Good news. This will help to make sure all BE bowl eligible teams will get to a bowl. Who are we playing again from CUSA? I hope its one of their top teams.

See the PJ bowl thread. It’ll probably be the C-USA team that got bumped from that.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2008 02:42 PM by Ring of Black.)
04-30-2008 02:42 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
SF Husky Wrote:Good news. This will help to make sure all BE bowl eligible teams will get to a bowl. Who are we playing again from CUSA? I hope its one of their top teams.

CUSA Commish now tries to fill their non-Liberty Bowl slots by geography...so chances are it will be a CUSA East team that goes to the St Pete Bowl...and for many like Marshall, ECU and UCF...probably all 3 of them would choose St Pete over a trip to Birmingham or Mobile...whereas teams like UAB and USM would prefer Birmingham or Mobile over St Pete.

If I had to guess...it will probably be ECU, Marshall or UCF...as long as neither of them win CUSA Championship.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2008 03:49 PM by KnightLight.)
04-30-2008 02:50 PM
Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
As a ECU fan I can tell you that Tampa is a much better destination and draw than Legion Field in Birmingham. Even though it is about 2 hours further.
04-30-2008 03:14 PM
ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Good location but bad opponent.

We need bowls that we control that has BCS opponents. I'm confuse how we couldn't get the Big 10's MCB team, Big 12 9th or heck even a ACC team. The ACC's been complaining about Boise and SF for years.

Plus get the PJB out of Birmingham please.
04-30-2008 07:14 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
1) I believe ACC is finally getting out of their bad Boise, Idaho bowl game for the new one in Washington, DC.

2) Big 12 has shown that they do not travel well to FLA...unless its the Orange Bowl Game...as the Big 12 lost their Champs Sports Bowl spot due to poor attendance and their first shot at their Gator Bowl spot failed miserably last year.

3) Very doubtful that the "Big 3" in Detroit that help sponsor the Motor City Bowl will allow that Big 10 spot to ever leave Detroit.

4) SEC team playing in Birmingham will help attendance GREATLY for the Papa Johns Game...but yes...Legion Field, with such a proud history, is a sad joke today and is one of the worst stadiums anywhere in the South.

5) Papa Johns Bowl Game played in Papa Johns Stadium makes a lot of sense...but I'm sure the SEC would prefer playing the game in the same city as the SEC is headquartered, Birmingham, AL.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2008 07:43 PM by KnightLight.)
04-30-2008 07:40 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.