Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: WVU faculty calls for the President to resign
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Article: WVU faculty calls for the President to resign
in a vote of no confidence today....rumors are going around about a student protest taking place at graduation unless Garrison leaves office

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?fun...ryid=24617

Jackson
05-05-2008 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Article: WVU faculty calls for the President to resign
bush only has a few mos left02-13-banana let him finish it out.03-lmfao
05-06-2008 07:14 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
As Tony Kornheiser might say:

"That's a 'gots to go' situation"
05-06-2008 11:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
he's gotta go.
05-06-2008 03:29 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Do you guys think this will effect what type of student-athletes you recruit? If the professors start taking an academic stand against the administration, might they require higher entrance requirements for your student-athletes?
05-06-2008 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Brick City Pirate Wrote:Do you guys think this will effect what type of student-athletes you recruit? If the professors start taking an academic stand against the administration, might they require higher entrance requirements for your student-athletes?

-- No. WVUs mission is to basically educate West Virginia students. WVs isn't great about funding education and teacher salaries are very low (especially when compared to neighboring states)...thus WV high school students tend not to do as well as kids from other states on SATs etc..thus the low entrance requirments. WVUs graduate programs are far more elite (untill a few months ago anyway LOL)

Scary thing is WVU is one of the hardest WV universities to get into in the state. Marshall and the NAIA school's in state standards are much lower

Jackson
05-06-2008 09:51 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
Jackson1011 Wrote:Scary thing is WVU is one of the hardest WV universities to get into in the state. Marshall and the NAIA school's in state standards are much lower

Jackson

WVU Requirements for incoming Freshmen...
Quote:http://admissions.wvu.edu/undergraduate/...ements.asp
Freshman General Admissions Requirements
Freshmen entering in August 2008 must successfully complete the following high school credits:

4 units of English (including grammar, composition, and literature)
3 units of social studies (including U.S. history)
4 units of college preparatory mathematics (including algebra I and II and plane geometry)
3 units of science (all units must be laboratory science)
2 units of the same foreign language
1 unit of fine arts

These requirements are in addition to the GPA and test score criteria needed to review the applications, as noted below under "Minimum Requirements for Application Review."

Transcripts
Don't forget: all applications must be accompanied by an official transcript. Send official transcripts of all of your previous schoolwork to WVU. You can send these with your application or have your high school send them separately. Also send official transcripts of any college work you have completed.
Transcripts should be sent to:

WVU Admissions and Records
PO Box 6009
Morgantown, WV 26506-6009
Fax: 304-293-8832

Essays and Recommendations
The WVU undergraduate admissions application does not include an essay. Recommendations are not required, but the admissions staff may request that you submit a recommendation if they need additional information. When you apply for some WVU scholarships and special programs, you may be asked to submit essays and/or recommendations.

Minimum Requirements for Application Review
(meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission)
West Virginia residents
must have at least a 2.0 grade-point average and either a composite ACT score of 19 or a combined critical reading and math SAT score of 910.

Nonresidents
must have at least a 2.25 grade-point average and either an ACT composite score of 21 or a combined critical reading and math SAT score of 990.

Please note that WVU does not mix and match sub scores from different test dates for admissions and scholarship consideration. Only the best composite score is used in determining eligibility.

WVU does not require students to take the optional written component of the ACT examination.

Grade-point average (GPA) is based on information received from a student's high school transcript. The most recent cumulative GPA on the transcript is used when determining admission to the University. This is the same GPA used by the Undergraduate Scholarship Office when determining scholarship eligibility. The Office of Admissions and Records does not re-calculate GPAs for scholarship consideration after the initial high school transcript is received.

MU Requirements for incoming Freshmen...
Quote:http://www.marshall.edu/admissions/content.asp#freshmen
High School Graduates
General Requirements:

1. A high school diploma (official transcript with graduation date required).
2. An Overall Grade Point Average of at least 2.00 (C average) and a composite score of at least 19 on the ACT or a combined score (critical reading + math) of at least 910 on the SAT.;
3. Completion of the 2008 Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC) course requirements. 2008 HEPC course requirements include:
- 4 years of English (including courses in grammar, composition, literature)
- 3 years of social studies (including U.S. history)
- 4 years of math (including Algebra I and at least two higher units)
- 3 years of science (all units must be laboratory science)
- 2 years of the same foreign language
- 1 year of fine arts

Beginning in 2008, students seeking admission to four-year degree programs must earn credit for the courses listed above.

First-time freshmen pursuing a four-year baccalaureate degree who meet the General
Requirements on listed above will be admitted unconditionally.

A very limited number of students who do not meet the GPA, ACT/SAT, or Higher Education Policy Commission general requirements for admission (GPA of at least 2.00 and 19 ACT/910 SAT CR+M) may be admitted conditionally to University College. Under the terms of the admissions policy, only a limited number of conditionally admitted students will be permitted to enroll at Marshall. For specific requirements for conditionally admitted students, see "Conditional Admission."

Required Application Materials:
1. Completed application for admission including the application fee.
2. An official, final transcript sent directly from the student’s high school.
3. Official college transcript sent directly from the college or university if a student has
completed a non-Marshall college course while in high school or in summer school.
4. American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores sent directly from the testing center. The Higher Education Policy Commission requires that all freshmen submit the American College Test (ACT), or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores mexcept applicants who graduated from high school five years or more ago. (Applicantswho graduated from high school five years or more ago and who lack test scores must pass special placement exams or required developmental English and mathematics courses before they can enroll in required courses in English and mathematics.) ACT
or SAT test scores are used in placing students in English and mathematics, for
scholarship and loan applications, for academic counseling, for determining eligibility for
certain degree programs, and in part to meet NCAA athletic eligibility requirements.1
5. A valid immunization record including measles and rubella vaccinations (MMR).
Applicants can provide an immunization record signed by a physician or an official copyof the permanent high school health record including a report of the required immunizations.
Students must provide proof of immunity before or during the first semester
of enrollment or they will not be permitted to enroll in subsequent terms. If an
applicant has religious beliefs that prohibit vaccination, the applicant must submit anotarized statement from a member of his or her clergy. Requests for exemptionsshould be made to the Admissions Office. Students born prior to January 1, 1957 areexempt from the immunization requirement.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2008 10:00 AM by GreenBison.)
05-08-2008 09:55 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

The next thing you know they'll be saying that their athletic department is "self sufficient"!!!!
05-10-2008 01:10 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
GreenBison Wrote:The next thing you know they'll be saying that their athletic department is "self sufficient"!!!!

-- Relax Greenie,

I meant no ill will towards your school. I am from northern WV where a Herd fan is about as common as an Albino deer in November, thus I don't have the distaste for MU that some WVU fans have. Last time I saw the US News and World Reports rankings of the Universities, Marshall wasn't even Tier 3. I thought it had something to do with the intrance requirments, but it appears that is not the case. There must be an issue somewhere else along the line.

As for being self sufficient, the rifle team has been out of the state budget for a few years now, and I haven't seen anything new enter the state budget...so yes the athletic deparment is self-sufficient but the University certainly is not.

Perhaps it would be better if you found a WVU fan in Cabell county or elsewhere in the Kanwaha Valley to talk smack with. They might care a little more

Jackson
05-10-2008 03:09 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
No. They don't, Jackson. I'm from the Kanawha Valley originally, and my father covered both WVU and Marshall sports. Caring doesn't matter. Herd fans have their opinions, and nothing will change it. WVU fans have theirs, and nothing will change it. People who are indifferent think both are nuts. What else is new?
05-10-2008 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

Jackson1011 Wrote:
GreenBison Wrote:The next thing you know they'll be saying that their athletic department is "self sufficient"!!!!

-- Relax Greenie,

so yes the athletic deparment is self-sufficient but the University certainly is not.

According to your Athletic Director (under oath) your athletic department is not self sufficient and receives millions of dollars per year (every year) from the state of West Virginia...
http://www.wboy.com/sjuploads/Pastilong%...75450).TXT
Quote:17 Q What kind of annual budget does the

18 university give the athletic department for those

19 roughly 200 people?

20 A Well, our athletic department budget is in

21 the area of $48 million.

22 Q Okay.

23 And, of that $48 million, how much comes

24 from the State of West Virginia, or does it all come

25 from the State of West Virginia?

1 A Well, portions of it come from the State of

2 West Virginia, and portions come from contributors,

3 foundation.

4 Q And, for the jury, give me a rough

5 approximation what percentage comes from the

6 university, and what percentage -- or the state, and

7 what percentage comes from the foundation?

8 A Well, I would say the majority comes from

9 the state, and then the second most would be from the

10 foundation, and there are moneys that come from our

11 particular conference via television revenues,

12 et cetera.

13 Q And out of the 48 million, what would be an

14 approximation that would come from the foundation; 10,

15 20 million, or something between those two numbers?

16 A Something between those two.

17 Q On an annual basis?

18 A On an annual basis.
05-10-2008 10:45 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Quote:No. They don't, Jackson. I'm from the Kanawha Valley originally, and my father covered both WVU and Marshall sports. Caring doesn't matter. Herd fans have their opinions, and nothing will change it. WVU fans have theirs, and nothing will change it. People who are indifferent think both are nuts. What else is new?

^^ Hey, the Greenie is on to something though....I wonder where in the athletic deparment the cash from the state goes...interesting

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2008 09:44 AM by Jackson1011.)
05-11-2008 09:43 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.