Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UCF/ USF series (Future?)
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
UCF/ USF series (Future?)
From the Florida Today...

UCF-USF future. Tribble said few serious talks have been held between UCF and South Florida about continuing the cross-state rivalry between the two arch-rivals.

UCF hosts USF on Saturday in the fourth, and possibly final, game of the series. The two schools do not have concrete plans for future games and USF coach Jim Leavitt has talked publicly of wanting to establish rivalries with other schools in Florida.

USF has won all three games in the series, including a 64-12 thumping of UCF last season.

"We've had conversations where we've said basically we need to discuss and determine what we want to do," Tribble said. "It's a great opportunity for both teams. When both of us have played the games at our stadiums we've had sellouts. I think it's a great opportunity for both schools and hopefully we can continue it."Florida Today
08-31-2008 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: UCF/ USF series (Future?)
USF needs to focus on what is best for their program. It would seem to me that they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by continuing to play UCF.
08-31-2008 01:59 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
^^^ Absolutely.

However, if UCF will agree to a couple of 2 for 1s id happily continue the series that way.
08-31-2008 02:11 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If they continue to play UCF, the statistics will continue to be lopsided in the Bulls favor... 03-lmfao
08-31-2008 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

BullsBEAST Wrote:^^^ Absolutely.

However, if UCF will agree to a couple of 2 for 1s id happily continue the series that way.

The 2-1 obviously would never happen. I just posted it for information purposes only. Clearly with back to back sell-outs for the game and now ESPN coverage the series should be at least discussed. I'm fine going separate ways if that is what is best for both schools.
08-31-2008 02:20 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
One thing I've never understood is that UCF hammers USF and rips the school, the players, the coaches, the university, the facilities, etc. Suddenly they care about "what's best" for USF when it comes to playing UCF. Until I hear things from the USF side I'll believe it when I see it.
08-31-2008 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
He is not completely correct the first two games were NOT sell outs. I think this year is a sell out because of the size of UCF's stadium. Doubt if it was at the Citrus Bowl that it would sell out.
Anyways as it has been said many times, I think we will play again but just not in a continuous fashion.
08-31-2008 02:31 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

CatsClaw Wrote:One thing I've never understood is that UCF hammers USF and rips the school, the players, the coaches, the university, the facilities, etc. Suddenly they care about "what's best" for USF when it comes to playing UCF. Until I hear things from the USF side I'll believe it when I see it.

I care only for UCF. We will just find someone else to play if USF doesn't want us. We have 1-1 games against BC, NC State, and Miami coming. It still like the USF game because it makes for a cheap travel game.
08-31-2008 02:32 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

Cubanbull Wrote:He is not completely correct the first two games were NOT sell outs. I think this year is a sell out because of the size of UCF's stadium. Doubt if it was at the Citrus Bowl that it would sell out.
Anyways as it has been said many times, I think we will play again but just not in a continuous fashion.

The game last year at your place was a sellout or at least you guys were not selling any tickets.
08-31-2008 02:34 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I said the first TWO games were NOT. Last year It was a sell out but large part of that was we were 5-0 and highly ranked
08-31-2008 02:51 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
USF needs one in state rival, imho, and hopefully that will end up being Miami...at least that is what USF hopes to accomplish. Don't forget they are playing on Thanksgiving weekend on espn for next few years.
08-31-2008 03:29 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

BullsFanInTX Wrote:USF needs one in state rival, imho, and hopefully that will end up being Miami...at least that is what USF hopes to accomplish. Don't forget they are playing on Thanksgiving weekend on espn for next few years.

Good point, and Miami needs another in-state rival. Florida State is good, but with Miami looking to improve attendance replacing Florida OOC with USF should help alot. Florida will only play Miami every once in awhile so Miami scheduling USF helps both, Miami with attendance and USF with national respect.
08-31-2008 03:48 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Cubanbull Wrote:He is not completely correct the first two games were NOT sell outs. I think this year is a sell out because of the size of UCF's stadium. Doubt if it was at the Citrus Bowl that it would sell out.

Citrus bowl is much bigger than RayJay. I rather play other schools in Florida too. It's not really a big deal if Flamerica wants to play us, we are still selling out the stadium.
08-31-2008 04:51 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

firmbizzle Wrote:

Citrus bowl is much bigger than RayJay. I rather play other schools in Florida too. It's not really a big deal if Flamerica wants to play us, we are still selling out the stadium.

If you're selling out the stadium why is USF cancelling the series bad business? You were saying in another thread that you were a person concerned about business in Florida and that South Florida would effect that. But if UCF is selling out games USF not playing UCF doesn't effect business in Florida.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 04:59 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-31-2008 04:55 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Citrus Bowl has 7k more seats than RJS. My point was that the article said the games between UCF-USF were sell outs and that was NOT true. The first two years were NOT sell outs and this one wouldnt be either if it was still being played at the Citrus Bowl.
08-31-2008 04:55 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Cubanbull Wrote:Citrus Bowl has 7k more seats than RJS. My point was that the article said the games between UCF-USF were sell outs and that was NOT true. The first two years were NOT sell outs and this one wouldnt be either if it was still being played at the Citrus Bowl.

That's interesting. This isn't meant to bash on UCF at all, but UCF just comes off as desperately trying to get this series continued, particularly UCF fans. If USF doesn't want to play you, just tell them you don't need them and build your own successful program. That's basically what Cincinnati did when Ohio State refused to play us annually.
08-31-2008 05:02 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF should do what they want to do.. I'm tired of the whining.. get over it my fellow UCF fans.. there are bigger fish ... err... cows to fry up than USF.
08-31-2008 06:35 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Lets rephrase that USF is doing what it wants to do, so time to move on.
08-31-2008 07:25 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

CatsClaw Wrote:That's interesting. This isn't meant to bash on UCF at all, but UCF just comes off as desperately trying to get this series continued, particularly UCF fans. If USF doesn't want to play you, just tell them you don't need them and build your own successful program. That's basically what Cincinnati did when Ohio State refused to play us annually.

Actually this isn't even an Orlando paper. Nobody is begging. There are talks between the two AD's and that is it. The series was just starting to build more of a following. The series started on FoxSports, then CSTV, then ESPNU, then ESPN2. Crowds grew from 45K, 46K, 60K (Sellout), to 45K (Sellout).

I think we are to the point where it is a sellout on each side every year. I don't think either UCF or South "needs" the game at all either. Nobody is really arguing that. UCF is going to sellout almost every game no matter who we play, but that isn't the point.
08-31-2008 08:54 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
So whats the point and why was this thread started by a UCF fan on a Big East board?
08-31-2008 09:38 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.