CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Tulsa World Sports Extra: Bearcats Clawing to credibility
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/a...ncin467235

Clawing to credibility

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/2/2008

Cincinnati is no longer considered just a basketball school.

NORMANCincinnati, cradle to Oscar Robertson and Bob Huggins, seems a basketball school. Perhaps that's why coach Brian Kelly says his football team's trip to Oklahoma Saturday is like a hoops journey to Duke.

It does beg a question: Why are the Bearcats stepping up into that type of gridiron class in the first place?

"It's critical for our program in terms of where we want to go," Kelly said. "This is a huge measuring stick for our football team, relative to where we stand in progression toward a Big East championship."

So Bob Stoops isn't the only coach in Saturday's game who loves the word "championship." Maybe this isn't such a giant step up for Cincinnati, coming off its first 10-win season since 1951, after all.

"They're going to be fine," said Jim Leavitt, whose South Florida Bulls fell to the Bearcats 38-33 last year. "You've got two awfully good football teams playing, both of them well-coached. It's going to be a heck of a ballgame."

The oddsmakers may not be sure — they've made Cincinnati a 3-touchdown underdog — but Sooner coaches have bought in.

"I'd be willing to get you half to 70 percent of their team visited Big Ten schools and decided to go to Cincinnati because of the opportunity (to play), style of offense or defense, or proximity to their family," said OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, familiar with the Bearcats' program from his nine years as an assistant at Miami (Ohio). "The majority of that team could have played in the Big Ten and chose not to They have players."

Defensive backs DeAngelo Smith and Mike Mickens, for instance, combined to make 14 interceptions last year, the top pass-pilfering duo in the nation. Defensive tackle Terrill Byrd was a second-team All-American.

On offense, third-year starting quarterback Dustin Grutza makes the Bearcats' no-huddle hum with the help of wide receivers Dominick Goodman and Marcus Barnett.

"They're terrific," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. "We feel like their skill will rival anybody we see this year."

That's despite losing Ben Mauk, the transfer quarterback who threw for 3,121 yards and 31 touchdowns last season. Mauk was officially denied a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA last week. Grutza, the Bearcats' starter in 2005-06, has worked since last spring under the assumption Mauk would not return. It showed last Thursday when he went 21-of-28 for 296 yards and three scores in a 40-7 season-opening victory over Eastern Kentucky.

So much for the idea that Mauk's case, which dragged all the way into Cincinnati's game day last week, would be a distraction.

Now the Bearcats must digest playing on Owen Field, and the perception that theirs is a basketball school playing a football power.

"We are really excited about going and playing in that environment," Kelly said. "It's what college football is all about. We want to be in these kinds of games and that's why we decided we wanted to play Oklahoma...

"Certainly we can't go to Norman, Oklahoma, and lay an egg, and not play to the level we're capable of. I don't think we will."
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2008 04:42 PM by CatsClaw.)
09-02-2008 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Tulsa World Sports Extra: Clawing to credibility
The Oklahoma coaches are talking it up. But are the Sooner players taking this game as seriously as their coaches are? That's the big question. They could be looking at this as just another tuneup for confernce play. If so, their season could get derailed early...
09-02-2008 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Tulsa World Sports Extra: Bearcats Clawing to credibility
I bet the Oklahoma coaches are hoping that UC slips into the Top 25 this week so they can try to convince the players that this is more then a "tune-up". The fact that we're a Big East team should tell them something.
09-02-2008 05:26 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Not a chance. UC is still ranked around 35th. It should change radically after next week... 04-cheers
09-02-2008 05:41 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Good luck Cats. I got faith in you guys taking out the Sooners. It will be a tough game and it will be very difficult to get a victory. However, I think you guys can certainly do it. I just hope your new QB is up to the task. I think your old QB Mauck was excellent, but he is not playing.
09-02-2008 05:47 PM
Advertisement

TyBull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF / GA Tech
Come on Cats, spank NOklahoma.....
09-02-2008 05:58 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:Not a chance. UC is still ranked around 35th. It should change radically after next week... 04-cheers

UC is ranked 29th AP poll. I didn't expect UC to move up in the coaches poll, they were around 35 going into last week.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2008 06:44 PM by CatsClaw.)
09-02-2008 06:38 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Are you guys smoking crack?

OU: 34
UC: 17

Sorry, hope I'm wrong but UC offensive line is going to get used and abused vs OU defensive line which will keep offense out of sync, take UC receivers out of the game and keep UC defense on the field too long.

Close first half, OU pulls away and wins going away in the second half.

Hope I'm wrong....go Cats!
09-02-2008 07:38 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

With a 21 point spread, a bet on UC wins... 04-cheers
09-02-2008 08:38 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
UC beats the spread, but I'm with B#1, I don't feel real good about the overall game. The OL is not very good and the QB makes a lot of bad decisions. If the defense gets some turnovers and Grutza holds on to the ball then UC will have a shot, but if Grutza starts trying to do too much with the ball then it is over.

Oklahoma - 31 (14 points off turnovers)
Cincinnati - 21
09-03-2008 07:43 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

You never know. Grutza may come up with a career game. But I'm not real comfortable about that game. I hope UC plays well, and doesn't get embarrassed on national TV.

The WVU game is a different story... 05-mafia
09-03-2008 07:58 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.