houston bowl update...
06-26-2006 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Re: houston bowl update...
goodknightfl Wrote:article on bowl game...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4001357.html

So now we know how they are getting out of the Big East contract with the Houston Bowl. In reality the Houston Bowl is now defunct and they are starting this with a new organization.

Hope they make it so Navy can go to the Poinsettia Bowl against a MWC school and it leaves the Meineke Car Care Bowl back in Big East hands despite our IDIOT of a COMMISH Mike "BLINDSIDED" Transghese.
06-26-2006 09:21 AM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:

Well, that explains my question on cusa board of how are they getting out of the big east contracts.
06-26-2006 09:35 AM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

given the choice i think Navy would prefer insight bowl. the good thing for be is ... charl/navy thing is only 1 year. chances are at least 50-50 if Nd gets bcs bid.. U wont need more than 5 bowls this year anyways.. 4 might even be enough. the deal the BE had with houston was for #3.. if u kept contract then charlotte wouldnt have signed anyways.. seems to me if u had to choose between the 2 charlotte makes much more sense.
06-26-2006 09:37 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

Again it still opens up a bowl. There was an article that the Big East is/was involved with the Poinsettia Bowl. IF we have 5-6 Bowl eligible teams all of them will be in Bowl games this year.
06-26-2006 09:53 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Maize Wrote:Again it still opens up a bowl. There was an article that the Big East is/was involved with the Poinsettia Bowl. IF we have 5-6 Bowl eligible teams all of them will be in Bowl games this year.

We need to get out of all the crap bowls out west and the disaster that will be the Snow Bowl in Canada. I hate how reactive the conference is reagrding football.
06-26-2006 09:55 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Maize Wrote:Again it still opens up a bowl. There was an article that the Big East is/was involved with the Poinsettia Bowl. IF we have 5-6 Bowl eligible teams all of them will be in Bowl games this year.

I would expect that u are right there... Poinsettia... had agreements or hookups to a few conf if i remember correctly... my guess is U are very safe for 5 bids..
06-26-2006 09:56 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

L-yes Wrote:

We need to get out of all the crap bowls out west and the disaster that will be the Snow Bowl in Canada. I hate how reactive the conference is reagrding football.

L-Yes I completely agree with you but remember in this league it is all about Basketball, Notre Dame and the Big East Tournament in MSG. The folks in the league office only give lip service to football.
06-26-2006 10:03 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:We need to get out of all the crap bowls out west and the disaster that will be the Snow Bowl in Canada. I hate how reactive the conference is reagrding football.

-- TV markets rule the day in the BE. If attractivness to bowls was a key category in expansion Memphis and ECU would have been #s7/8 in the football conference instead of UC and USF

-- This is one of those situations were we need to make the best out of what we have. Hey, look at it this way. UL and WVU will never see those Western/snow bowls. In the old league the Gator just became a ND/VAtech/WVU bowl with little represtenation from the rest of the league. I'm sure the Gator/Sun will be the same thing with UL filling in for VT. There have been times WVU has technically finished 4th in the league and still gone to the Gator because #2+3 couldn't sell tickets. Worse case scenario the Cards and Mountys will go to Charlotte to place the ACC. Neither school will go lower then that on the bowl pecking order for the duration of the contract

Jackson
06-26-2006 10:42 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

the Big east will fill allof its bowl spots in any event.My guess 5 is just right and youwillnot need anymore most years.
06-26-2006 11:41 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

TopCoog Wrote:the Big east will fill allof its bowl spots in any event.My guess 5 is just right and youwillnot need anymore most years.

Call me crazy, but IMO 4 bowl games is enough for a 8 team conference. These new bottom feeder bowls that can barely scrape up money for the minimum bowl payouts force schools to lose money.

Sorry I am not just a big fan of spending almost $2K to travel to Toronto around XMAS time to watch 'bowl game' in a city that looks at football much like most Americans look at hockey....a curious afterthought.
06-26-2006 12:31 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:
TopCoog Wrote:the Big east will fill allof its bowl spots in any event.My guess 5 is just right and youwillnot need anymore most years.

Call me crazy, but IMO 4 bowl games is enough for a 8 team conference. These new bottom feeder bowls that can barely scrape up money for the minimum bowl payouts force schools to lose money.

Sorry I am not just a big fan of spending almost $2K to travel to Toronto around XMAS time to watch 'bowl game' in a city that looks at football much like most Americans look at hockey....a curious afterthought.

For the schools it isnt about $$$$ in these bowls... it about face time on TV... and the extra practices.....
06-26-2006 01:19 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:We need to get out of all the crap bowls out west and the disaster that will be the Snow Bowl in Canada. I hate how reactive the conference is reagrding football.

-- TV markets rule the day in the BE. If attractivness to bowls was a key category in expansion Memphis and ECU would have been #s7/8 in the football conference instead of UC and USF

-- This is one of those situations were we need to make the best out of what we have. Hey, look at it this way. UL and WVU will never see those Western/snow bowls. In the old league the Gator just became a ND/VAtech/WVU bowl with little represtenation from the rest of the league. I'm sure the Gator/Sun will be the same thing with UL filling in for VT. There have been times WVU has technically finished 4th in the league and still gone to the Gator because #2+3 couldn't sell tickets. Worse case scenario the Cards and Mountys will go to Charlotte to place the ACC. Neither school will go lower then that on the bowl pecking order for the duration of the contract

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

You really think WVU and UL will never go to a second tier bowl? I'm sorry but neither school is a dynasty yet.
06-26-2006 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

TexanMark Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

You really think WVU and UL will never go to a second tier bowl? I'm sorry but neither school is a dynasty yet.

As long as SU SUcks we won't have to worry about competition from New York.
06-26-2006 02:24 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

L-yes Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

What I'm saying is it goes in cycles--if $$$moneygrub Petrino gets Wanderlust for the 23rd time or RRod gets caught in another peccadillo and gets fired your two year old dynasties will come tumbling down. My god you guys think 2005 = 2006=2007=2008, etc....
06-26-2006 02:30 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

TexanMark Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

What I'm saying is it goes in cycles--if $$$moneygrub Petrino gets Wanderlust for the 23rd time or RRod gets caught in another peccadillo and gets fired your two year old dynasties will come tumbling down. My god you guys think 2005 = 2006=2007=2008, etc....

No we don't. We think 1998=1999=2000=2001=2002=2003=2004=2005 and so on.
06-26-2006 03:01 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:LOL--gimme a break

-- Its not about dynasties, its about how many tickets get sold. Go back and look at who played in the Gator Bowl between say 1996 and the present. The BE reps not named Notre Dame, Va Tech or WVU are few and far between.

-- 1996 is a perfect example of what I am talking about. If memory serves both SU and WVU finished 8-3. Syracuse destroyed WVU that yr in Morgantown, and yet WVU still got the Gator Bowl because our fans travel

-- The Gator Bowl director was actually quoted as saying UL brought more fans to the game this past yr in the Hokies did. How many other BE teams could out travel VT to a bowl game? Again the issue is who can bring the fans to make the bowls happy. Right now is WVU,UL, Rutgers and maybe Uconn. Other then that the football traveling fan base in the league is almost non existent

Jackson
06-26-2006 03:36 PM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

L-yes Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

I dont know buffalo might catch em... ;-)
06-26-2006 04:46 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

goodknightfl Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

LOL--gimme a break

I dont know buffalo might catch em... ;-)

LOL. What was the result of the game the last time UCF played Buffalo? Didnt' Buffalo blow out the golden nights? No wonder a UCF fan would think that Buffalo will catch up to Syracuse. lmfao lmfao
06-26-2006 05:06 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:LOL--gimme a break

-- 1996 is a perfect example of what I am talking about. If memory serves both SU and WVU finished 8-3. Syracuse destroyed WVU that yr in Morgantown, and yet WVU still got the Gator Bowl because our fans travel

-- The Gator Bowl director was actually quoted as saying UL brought more fans to the game this past yr in the Hokies did. How many other BE teams could out travel VT to a bowl game? Again the issue is who can bring the fans to make the bowls happy. Right now is WVU,UL, Rutgers and maybe Uconn. Other then that the football traveling fan base in the league is almost non existent

Jackson

1996 was an odd year though. For the regular season, VT went 10-1 and Miami, SU, and WVU all went 8-3. SU split against WVU & Miami, while Miami went 2-0 vs. SU & WVU. Where did each team end up:

WVU - Gator
Miami - Carquest (although it was a bowl game essentially at home)
SU - Liberty

As for VT's poor attendance at the Gator, that is being rectified in the ACC's bowl tie-ins. The ACC basically guaranteed its conference championship game loser a spot in the Gator, which meant that the losing team would travel to Jacksonville twice in a month. If I were a fan and travelled down for the ACC title game, what incentive is there for me to travel there again for a bowl game? The Chick-Fil-A Bowl in Atlanta now gets the 1st ACC pick after the BCS.
06-26-2006 05:38 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.