Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Any fellow Big East fans like to fish?
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Any fellow Big East fans like to fish?
Up here Cental New York we have some of the best Walleye,Small MouthBass lakes in the NorthEast. And come fall when SU not playing me and my father go Chinook Salmon fishing

What about my friends in Louisville,Tampa,New Jersey??
06-26-2006 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Re: Any fellow Big East fans like to fish?
PusherT Wrote:Up here Cental New York we have some of the best Walleye,Small MouthBass lakes in the NorthEast. And come fall when SU not playing me and my father go Chinook Salmon fishing

I used to fish alot.... only once in a while now... went out on lake champlain with uncle in vt once... best i have done was on the miss river delta south of NAWLINS.. yes I know spelling is wrong but thats how de say it. filled a 90 gallon ice chest with redfish n black drum in 60 minutes.
06-26-2006 04:38 PM
Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina

Sorry, not in the Big East but I like to Fish :),

I live on the Outer Banks of NC and there is alot of great fishing here. I've been fishing off of Oregon Inlet bridge lately and have been catching flounder, croaker, striped bass, and spot. A few of my buddies work at the fishing center and they fish me fresh tuna. Maranade a fresh tuna steak in italian dressing and some old bay seasoning.....nothing beats that.
06-26-2006 08:27 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

funny that you posted about this b/c my four year son fell in love with fishing during our recent vacation. He showed great patience even without catching anything.....

Looking forward toward him getting a little bit older so I can buy the flats boat I've been dreaming of for 20 years to fish around Tampa Bay.

If you love fishing, there is no better place than Florida.
06-26-2006 09:27 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

I used to fish all the time when I was a kid and through my teenage years. Now I only fish when on vacation, and that's usually pan fishing with my small children.
06-26-2006 10:21 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

I love to fish and own 30 rod & reels. I also love to fry fish!
06-27-2006 01:21 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Purplehook Wrote:Sorry, not in the Big East but I like to Fish :),

I live on the Outer Banks of NC and there is alot of great fishing here. I've been fishing off of Oregon Inlet bridge lately and have been catching flounder, croaker, striped bass, and spot. A few of my buddies work at the fishing center and they fish me fresh tuna. Maranade a fresh tuna steak in italian dressing and some old bay seasoning.....nothing beats that.

I fished off that bridge about 10 years ago.... while camping at the KOA on the banks.... all we caught were some blue fish and croakers.... still made for a pretty good fish fry at camp.
06-27-2006 07:19 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

PusherT Wrote:Up here Cental New York we have some of the best Walleye,Small MouthBass lakes in the NorthEast. And come fall when SU not playing me and my father go Chinook Salmon fishing

I have a summer camp on Lake Ontario--the guides bring their clients about 75 yards out from the shore from my place--kinda neat to watch them. The spot has mostly smallmouth and perch.
06-27-2006 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

This is the lake my father and I built on our farm about 40 miles outside of Louisville, its been ten years ago now-

[Image: IMG_0498.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0492.jpg]

I manage it pretty well. It's a great largemouth fishery though their growth rates have started to taper off, I need to take a few out this fall. The bluegill are slabs but somehow green sunfish/warmouth were introduced to the pond. They aren't a desirable species due to their larger than normal mouths they compete with the bass for food. That said, I'm convinced we have the state record green sunfish in the pond and quite possibly could break it several times over with multiple fish. We have a controlled population of chanel cats as well that are strictly catch and release at this point. They are all between 5-15 lbs. I need to buy a bunch of six inch cats and grow them for fryers. The big ones arent the best food quality but they are awesome to catch and a blast to watch kids reel in.
06-27-2006 08:35 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

L-yes Wrote:

This is the lake my father and I built on our farm about 40 miles outside of Louisville, its been ten years ago now-

I manage it pretty well. It's a great largemouth fishery though their growth rates have started to taper off, I need to take a few out this fall. The bluegill are slabs but somehow green sunfish/warmouth were introduced to the pond. They aren't a desirable species due to their larger than normal mouths they compete with the bass for food. That said, I'm convinced we have the state record green sunfish in the pond and quite possibly could break the several times over with multiple fish. We have a controlled population of chanel cats as well that are strictly catch and release at this point. They are all between 5-15 lbs. I need to buy a bunch of six inch cats and grow them for fryers. The big ones arent the best food quality but they are awesome to catch and a blast to watch kids reel in.

So when are you having us over? LOL
06-27-2006 08:38 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
TexanMark Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:

I manage it pretty well. It's a great largemouth fishery though their growth rates have started to taper off, I need to take a few out this fall. The bluegill are slabs but somehow green sunfish/warmouth were introduced to the pond. They aren't a desirable species due to their larger than normal mouths they compete with the bass for food. That said, I'm convinced we have the state record green sunfish in the pond and quite possibly could break the several times over with multiple fish. We have a controlled population of chanel cats as well that are strictly catch and release at this point. They are all between 5-15 lbs. I need to buy a bunch of six inch cats and grow them for fryers. The big ones arent the best food quality but they are awesome to catch and a blast to watch kids reel in.

So when are you having us over? LOL

Next time you're in town let me know.
06-27-2006 08:41 AM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I guess L-Yep wins the award for "really liking to fish". ;-)

Good grief......your own lake?

Are you a biologist?

....sounds like you know what you are doing.
06-27-2006 09:13 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Sweet, L-Yes. Is your Lake suppose to be a Bass, Bluegill and Channel Cat ecosphere or does it have other species, also, besides the Green Sun Fish and Warmouths? Does your lake have any feeder creeks or springs? That might explain the Green Sun Fish and Warmouths. Also, have you ever stocked hybrid Bluegills?
06-27-2006 09:25 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Wilkie01 Wrote:Sweet, L-Yes. Is your Lake suppose to be a Bass, Bluegill and Channel Cat ecosphere or does it have other species, also, besides the Green Sun Fish and Warmouths? Does your lake have any feeder creeks or springs? That might explain the Green Sun Fish and Warmouths. Also, have you ever stocked hybrid Bluegills?

It was stocked with the standard Kentucky fish and wildlife recommendations/ratios of bluegill, largemouth bass and channel catfish. It was a corn field watershed before we got to work on it. It had a ditch line with some cattails, that's about it for pre-existing water. My theory is that a water bird, great blue heron or some other long legged wader species carried in eggs on its legs. We sit in the middle of wetlands and the farm is bordered by creeks on all sides- we get a lot of water foul traffic. I've never stocked hybrid gills but have flirted with stocking black or white crappie and or hybrid striped bass.

Our lake is just over 10 acres; the recommended minimum size to mess around with crappie is 15 acres. To stock crappie in a smaller body of water is flirting with ruining what you have unless you have a well established bass population that will heavily predate the crappie and a good number of weed beds for small bass and bluegill to hide in. We have both...but... If you fish Kentucky you know that the Crappie spawn and bite is typically in March, 1 to 3 months before other species really turn on. In a smaller body of water this gives Crappie a distinct advantage over other fish species in that their fry will be out and growing weeks or even months before the other fish get on the bed. In turn their fry will be in the other fish beds eating their eggs and the crappie will be off of their beds when the other fish are spawning just waiting for those small bass and bluegill to come out of those nests. The problem is compounded in that Crappie, like the green sunfish and warmouth, have large mouths relative to bluegill which put them in direct competition with bass for forage.

Hybrid stripers don't present as many problems because though they are voracious feeders they are sterile therefore you can control their population.

Cyberbull- I went to Eastern Kentucky University as a wildlife management major. So yes I was on that path. Then I met my wife moved back to Louisville got a Political Science degree from UofL and started developing real estate. I still have passion for the biology though.
06-27-2006 10:01 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I would stock the Hybid Strippers, I had a cousin ruin a farm pond with Crappies.
06-27-2006 10:07 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I fish the Ancolte River flats all the time and slam trout, reds, and snook.

Then I go down to Boca Grande in May for a while and slam tarpon and snook.

Love it.
06-27-2006 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Are Snook good table fare?
06-27-2006 12:34 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Wilkie01 Wrote:Are Snook good table fare?

Hellll yes!
06-27-2006 03:35 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

The Knight Time Wrote:Then I go down to Boca Grande in May for a while and slam tarpon and snook.

Some of the best fishing in the state of florida or anywhere. Great place too if you are into shark fishing....which I am not but those bad boys can give you a hell of fight.
06-27-2006 04:19 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

CyberBull Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Then I go down to Boca Grande in May for a while and slam tarpon and snook.

Some of the best fishing in the state of florida or anywhere. Great place too if you are into shark fishing....which I am not but those bad boys can give you a hell of fight.

I had a lot of fun fishing the flats between the Keys and the Everglades

Florida fishing is awesome.
06-27-2006 04:21 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.