Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Lack of BE/CUSA input with Birmingham Bowl
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Lack of BE/CUSA input with Birmingham Bowl
I am glad the Birmingham Bowl is there....but I don't understand why Big East and CUSA did not have a larger voice in setting up another bowl. It appears to me, and I certainly can be misinformed, that BE and CUSA did not have a lot of input and that the Birmingham Bowl sort of jumped out of the wordwork as a surprise. I, for one, would have preferred a Florida Bowl in either St. Pete or Orlando between BE and CUSA...make it CUSA #3 vs BE #4 and make it after Xmas. Seems this would be a better Bowl situation than either Houston Bowl and/or Poinsettia Bowl. And, with USF and UCF close by and likely participants, my guess it would have great attendance.
06-15-2006 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Tranghese has never been accused of being a smart one.
06-15-2006 10:47 AM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:

l-yes, was he blindsighted by this too? just kidding
06-15-2006 10:50 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Well considering how fragile so many bowl bids are...both CUSA and Big East were smart to say YES to Birmingham for now.

Look for a Big East/CUSA or CUSA/ACC Bowl Game in UCF's new on-campus stadium in the near future.

UCF's new AD, Keith Tribble (former CEO of the Orange Bowl for 13 years) will help CUSA and/or Big East/ACC with this possible game in the near future.

ACC wants more Bowl Games in FLA...and Big East and CUSA will want continued FLA exposure.

This will probably be a pre-Christmas Game...as now the Champs Sports Bowl Game has officially moved to just a few days before the Citrus Bowl.

This new bowl game will not be run by FL Citrus Sports...as it will be held at UCF's new stadium instead (which is fine for a crowd of 30,000-40,000 which most pre-Christmas games get).

KL
06-15-2006 11:16 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

KnightLight Wrote:Well considering how fragile so many bowl bids are...both CUSA and Big East were smart to say YES to Birmingham for now.

Look for a Big East/CUSA or CUSA/ACC Bowl Game in UCF's new on-campus stadium in the near future.

UCF's new AD, Keith Tribble (former CEO of the Orange Bowl for 13 years) will help CUSA and/or Big East/ACC with this possible game in the near future.

ACC wants more Bowl Games in FLA...and Big East and CUSA will want continued FLA exposure.

This will probably be a pre-Christmas Game...as now the Champs Sports Bowl Game has officially moved to just a few days before the Citrus Bowl.

This new bowl game will not be run by FL Citrus Sports...as it will be held at UCF's new stadium instead (which is fine for a crowd of 30,000-40,000 which most pre-Christmas games get).

KL

Que the USF fan refutation in 5, 4, 3 , 2, 1............
06-15-2006 12:33 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I would love to see a Big East Bowl somewhere in Florida wether is in Orlando, st Pette or Tampa. Not sure why the Big East hasnt pursued it more, i remember hearing from one of the Outback people that they would be interested in an earlier game in the Tampa-St Pete area.
06-15-2006 12:55 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Cubanbull Wrote:I would love to see a Big East Bowl somewhere in Florida wether is in Orlando, st Pette or Tampa. Not sure why the Big East hasnt pursued it more, i remember hearing from one of the Outback people that they would be interested in an earlier game in the Tampa-St Pete area.

Big East use to have the Champs Sports Bowl slot but that was changed to the Big 12.

Now...new Champs Sports Bowl contract is an ACC/Big 10 match-up.

ANY new bowl in FLA...either a new one in Tampa/St Pete or at UCF's new stadium would be great!

KL
06-15-2006 02:27 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Tampa Bowl
Step back from the dreams for a minute. The Big East isn't going to steal the Champs Bowl, or any other bowl, away from other BCS conferences.

What we need to do, and we now have a great chance to do this because of the Houston debacle, is start a second bowl in Tampa. I have been saying this for two years. Strike while the iron is hot. Houston has left an opening and it is time for the Big East to be proactive in something.

All we have to do is convince the Big 12 to forget about Houston and send their #8 team to Tampa to face the #4 team from the Big East. That is the same match-up they wanted to do in Houston anyway. Tampa is a better destination. Starting a game there is a no brainer bowl solution.

Birmingham? It is our #6 bowl and we would be stupid to say no. I personally, though, don't want to do much of anything with CUSA. No interest.
06-15-2006 06:10 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

KnightLight Wrote:Well considering how fragile so many bowl bids are...both CUSA and Big East were smart to say YES to Birmingham for now.

KL

Can Orlando support three bowl games?

Don't think that is possible.

Besides wouldn't holding bowl game in your stadium violate your agreement to only hold UCF games on campus?
06-15-2006 07:29 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Re: Tampa Bowl
Krocker Krapp Wrote:Step back from the dreams for a minute. The Big East isn't going to steal the Champs Bowl, or any other bowl, away from other BCS conferences.

What we need to do, and we now have a great chance to do this because of the Houston debacle, is start a second bowl in Tampa. I have been saying this for two years. Strike while the iron is hot. Houston has left an opening and it is time for the Big East to be proactive in something.

All we have to do is convince the Big 12 to forget about Houston and send their #8 team to Tampa to face the #4 team from the Big East. That is the same match-up they wanted to do in Houston anyway. Tampa is a better destination. Starting a game there is a no brainer bowl solution.

Birmingham? It is our #6 bowl and we would be stupid to say no. I personally, though, don't want to do much of anything with CUSA. No interest.

I agree.

Part of the problem for Florida based schools other than UF, is that travelling to bowl games of no consequence to cold weather venues such as ATL, Charlotte etc....doesn't seem like a reward since we live in paradise.

The Big EAST screwed big time when it didn't make a stronger bid to retain the Champs Bowl. It would have been perfect for newbie teams like USF to cut their teeth on and would be a great reward for our northern teams to come enjoy our 85?F temperatures in late December.

A 2nd bowl game in TampaBay makes a lot of sense but I don't know if there is enough corporate support to make it first class like the Outback Bowl, which is up there with the Gator, Cotton and Bank One as the best non-BCS games.
06-15-2006 07:35 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I was certainly hoping USF could pull some strings and get a corporate guy with fat pockets to start another bowl. We need another florida bowl game period. All this toronto and other garbage is killing me. Nothing Against toronto its a excellent city, but you will get a bigger crowd from any school if it was in florida period. I like the city of birmingham but damn how long can the stadium hold up without falling apart?
06-16-2006 03:41 AM
Advertisement

Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
second tampa bowl
I think a second Tampa Bowl can work. The Outback people would probably help. George Steinbrenner would probably help. The Buccaneers would probably help. Once you get those three groups on board, the other investors will probably come running.

Two bowls in Tampa and two bowls in Orlando make more sense than trying to do three bowls in Orlando. Plus there is the extra game issue with the new UCF stadium, which was mentioned above. The Big East is missing the boat if they don't pursue it.
06-16-2006 04:30 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Krocker Krapp Wrote:Step back from the dreams for a minute. The Big East isn't going to steal the Champs Bowl, or any other bowl, away from other BCS conferences.

Krocker, thats not realistic, the big 12 has pushed hard down here to save the Houston bowl. Its a win win deal for them. Houston is a very important Big 12 market and they won't dump it for fla.
06-19-2006 09:10 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Just don't make any of them pre-christmas you are asking for poor travel numbers.
06-19-2006 09:18 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

The facts are that there are too many Bowl games and allowing 6-6 teams to go is disgraceful. If Bowl think that a lot of fans of 6-6 teams are going to spend money to travel they are mistaken. Youll see those Bowls struggle to get 30,000. Why travel when your team is mediocre at best and probably got eligible only because of scheduling a couple of patsies when you can watch it on tv.
Very few 6-6 teams will bring large crowds.
06-19-2006 09:24 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

A lot of attendance figures will depend more on how well the fan base for the bowl teams travel. A team with a loyal fan base that travels to the various locations, like WVU or Louisville, will give a bowl game a good attendance figure. Teams with fans who don't travel won't.
06-19-2006 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

The problem will be that even WV or Louisville with 6-6 records will not travel in large numbers. No way that Ul or WV fans talking about BCS Bowls right now would show in large numbers to Birmingham or Toronto to see their 6-6 team play a CUSA or MAC school.
06-19-2006 11:37 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

I agree that there are too many bowls, but it is what it is. The bowls aren't going away.

The bowls are far from perfect and there is tons of politics involved, but it's what the college presidents have chosen.
06-19-2006 11:56 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Quote:[quote="3601"]I agree that there are too many bowls, but it is what it is. The bowls aren't going away.

The bowls are far from perfect and there is tons of politics involved, but it's what the college presidents have chosen.

I have no problem with the current system except for the greedy, cowardly, hypocitical and monopolistic favoritism to a certain 6 conferences. It would be better to simply use BCS rankings irregardless of conference affiliation. If the "Big 6" conferences are really better, they should not be afraid of such a setup.
06-19-2006 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
TopCoog Wrote:Krocker, thats not realistic, the big 12 has pushed hard down here to save the Houston bowl. Its a win win deal for them. Houston is a very important Big 12 market and they won't dump it for fla.
It was realistic until the Big 12 stabbed the Big East in the back and conspired with CUSA to save your precious Houston Bowl. Fine. Take your Houston Bowl and shove it up your Texas barbequed butts. I never wanted it anyway.

What we need to do now is get together with the Big Ten and start the Tampa Bowl. It can be Big East #4 vs. Big Ten #8. If the Big Ten #8 is ineligible some years, we can play the Sun Belt #2 or MAC #4/5 as the back up option.
06-19-2006 03:00 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.